Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button

Advertisement consent

Last Modified December 11, 2014

You may need to apply to us for advertisement consent to display an advertisement bigger than 0.3 square metres (or any size if illuminated) on the front of, or outside, your property, be it a house or business premises. It is unlikely you will need consent for a small sign with house / building name on it, or even a sign saying 'Beware of the Dog'.  However, if you own a Listed Building (either Grade I, II or II*), please seek advice from the council before attaching any signs to the building.

Temporary notices up to 0.6 square metres relating to local events, such as street parties and concerts, may also be displayed for a short period. There are different rules for estate agents boards, but, in general, these should not be bigger than 0.5 square metres.  Please ensure that you do not place signs on Highway land or attach it to any existing Highway sign or structure without prior consent.

The planning regime for larger, professional adverts and signs for businesses is complex (you may find it useful to seek pre-application advice first), though all outdoor advertisements must comply with five standard conditions, which are: 

  • be kept clean and tidy
  • be kept in a safe condition
  • have the permission of the owner of the site on which they are displayed (this includes the Highway Authority if the sign is to be placed on highway land)
  • not obscure, or hinder the interpretation of, official road, rail, waterway or aircraft signs, or otherwise make hazardous the use of these types of transport
  • be removed carefully where so required by the planning authority


Please note that where you do not comply with the Advertisement Regulations, a criminal offence has been committed and you may be liable for prosecution. It would therefore be in your interest to seek advice before putting up your signs if you are unsure whether they would comply with the Regulations. You can access the Advertisement Regulations by visiting the Planning Portal.

To submit an application for advertisement consent apply online at the Planning Portal or complete the form below:


When you submit your form you will also need to include: 
  • National requirements (Part 1)
  • Local requirements (Part 2) - we are working on a Local List,  please submit your application in accordance with national requirements

Please make sure you submit one original, plus one copy of the application form, together with one original, plus one copy of the plans and supporting information. 

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to download these documents. If you don't have it you can download Adobe Reader for free. If you are having problems opening any of the Adobe pdf files, please see our help page


We welcome feedback about our website. We are continually working to improve the content of our website. If you have any suggestions on how it can be improved, or just want to offer some feedback on it, please use the form below.

Add Your Feedback
Add your rating (required)

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.