Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button

Prior notification (agricultural or forestry development)

Last Modified December 11, 2014

In certain cases you will need to tell us about your plans for certain agricultural and forestry developments, permitted under Parts 6 and 7 of the Town and Country Planning General Permitted Development Order 1995.

We have 28 days in which to let you know of a decision whether a full application is required, or to inform you of our decision to allow or refuse approval. You should not start work before an application is made and has been determined by us.

A prior notification application form should be submitted for the following types of development:

1) Relating to agricultural units of five hectares or more:

  • Building, significant extension or significant alteration of a building
  • Formation or alteration of a private way
  • Carrying out of certain excavations and waste disposal
  • Placing or assembly of a tank or cage for use in fish farming in any waters on forestry land to (i) and (ii) above
  • Proposed road
  • Proposed excavation/deposit of waste
  • Building a fish tank

You must apply to us in advance for a decision as to whether our prior approval is required.

2) Examples of when planning permission will be required include:

  • Development not reasonably necessary for the purposes of agriculture/forestry on the holding. (The keeping or rearing of horses, unless for working the land, is not agriculture)
  • Development on land which is not currently used in connection with an agricultural business, for example, hobby farming
  • Development not designed for the purpose of agriculture, for example, railway carriages or lorry containers
  • Development on an agricultural holding of less than 0.4 hectares
  • Development on separate parcels of land of less than one hectare of five hectares or more, or 0.4 hectares on units less than five hectares
  • Agricultural buildings of more than 465 square metres for area (calculated to include all other development within 90 metres of the site which has been carried out within the preceding two years)
  • Buildings or excavations for livestock or slurry storage within 400 metres of a protected building (most non-agricultural buildings)
  • Agricultural development more than 12 metres in height
  • Excavation or engineering operations connected with fish farming.

It is often helpful to discuss your proposal with us before you send in your application. You can do this through our pre-application advice service.

Application forms and guidance


Apply online at the Planning Portal or download the relevant form:

A proposed building

A proposed road

A proposed fish tank (cage)

Excavation and waste materials

Please make sure you submit one original plus one copy of the application form,  together with one original plus one copy of the plans and supporting information. The fee information and help notes are provided to help you.

Information required to be submitted for prior notification - agricultural or forestry development:

  • National requirements (Part 1)
  • Local requirements (Part 2) - we are working on a Local List, please submit your application in accordance with national requirements

To process an application we require the information detailed in Part 1 above to be submitted with the application. The period for deciding the application cannot start until all the information has been received.


You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to download these documents. If you don't have it you can download Adobe Reader for free. If you are having problems opening any of the Adobe pdf files, please see our help page.


We welcome feedback about our website. We are continually working to improve the content of our website. If you have any suggestions on how it can be improved, or just want to offer some feedback on it, please use the form below.

Add Your Feedback
Add your rating (required)

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.