Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button


Change of circumstances

Last Modified April 15, 2016

Introduction of the Living Wage in April 2016

In April 2016, a new national Living Wage was introduced. This means that all employees aged 25 or over must be paid at least £7.20 per hour.

If your wage has increased because of this change, you must report this to the benefit office at Hertsmere.

Your responsibility to report changes in circumstances

When you have been awarded benefit, it is your responsibility to ensure Hertsmere has the correct information about your circumstances at all times.

You must tell us straight away about any changes in circumstances that happen to you, your partner, your dependant children or any other person who lives with you.

If you fail to do so you may lose out on benefit to which you are entitled to, or you may have to repay overpaid benefit .  

Changes you must tell us about include:

  • if you or your partner stop or start getting Income Support, Universal Credit, Jobseeker's Allowance, Tax Creditor any other state benefits
  • if you or your partner's state benefits, tax credits, Universal Credit or any other income increases or decreases
  • If you or your partner start a job
  • if you or your partner's wages increase or decrease
  • if you or your partner's savings or investments increase or decrease
  • if the number of people living with you changes, such as a partner moving in
  • if any of your children leave school or full-time education
  • If you stop receiving Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit for a child
  • if you move home or your rent changes
  • if you have a child
  • If you or your partner start or stop work.  


This list is not exhaustive and you should tell us immediately about any other changes that you think may affect your entitlement. If in doubt about what you must tell us about, please ask us straight away.

If you deliberately fail to tell us about a change in order to continue to receive benefit to which are not entitled to, you are breaking the law and could be prosecuted for fraud.

We will normally ask you to tell us about a change in writing and often need to see proof of what has changed. For example, if your salary has increased, we will need to see wage slips.

You can tell us about a change by writing to us at the address below, by visiting our offices in person, or by emailing us.

If you are emailing details of your change of circumstances, please make sure you put your name and address in the subject line of the email.

When you tell us about the change, please give as much information as possible such as:

  • The date the change happened, or when it is due to happen
  • What the change is (such as "I have started work" or "I have had a new baby").
  • If the change is temporary, how long the change will be for. For example, if you are due not to be paid from work for two weeks, state the date you will be paid last, how long you will not be paid for and what date you expect your wage to start again. In this example, you would also tell us what your wages will be when you begin to be paid for.
  • Provide the correct supporting evidence. If you cannot provide the supporting evidence, tell us when this will be submitted.



We welcome feedback about our website. We are continually working to improve the content of our website. If you have any suggestions on how it can be improved, or just want to offer some feedback on it, please use the form below.

Add Your Feedback
Add your rating (required)

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.