Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button


Making a claim for housing / council tax benefit

Last Modified March 03, 2017

Making a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support

If you are on a low income and are renting your home, either from a private landlord or from a housing association, you may be able to get help with your rent and Council Tax by making a claim for benefit.

Working age customers in Hertsmere wishing to make a claim for help with their rent may need to make a claim for Universal Credit, rather than Housing Benefit. If you are not sure if you should make a claim for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, you can check your eligibility at www.gov.uk/universalcredit.

If you are making a claim for Universal Credit rather than Housing Benefit and pay Council Tax, you must make a separate claim for Council Tax Support with Hertsmere.

Housing-Benefit-formIf you think you may be entitled you should make a claim without delay. This is because your benefit will normally start from the Monday after the date on which we receive your claim form.

To make a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit you must first complete a simple calculator to work out if it is likely you will be entitled. At the end of the calculator, any details you have entered will be transferred over to the main application form if you wish to progress.

Before starting, please make sure you have your National Insurance Number.


Please click here to start.


Alternatively, you can obtain an application form from our offices. This form must then be delivered to our offices.


Evidence and information

In support of your claim, you will need to provide supporting evidence.

If you are completing the online application, you will be given a list of what you must provide at the end of the application. If you are completing a hand-written form, there is a list of what you must provide at the end of the form.

Any supporting evidence you have been asked for must be submitted to our department at the Civic Offices.  

Should we need any more evidence or information from you, we will write to you.

If you are unsure of what you need to provide, do not delay in submitting you application. You can contact us after you have made your claim about supporting evidence.

Second adult rebate

If you do not have a partner but there are other people living in your household on a low income and as a result of these people you do not qualify for a single person discount on your council tax, you may qualify for second adult rebate. Second adult rebate is not based upon your circumstances, it is based upon the circumstances of the other people in the house, and it can reduce your council tax bill by up to 25%.

You can apply using the normal housing and council tax benefit claim form, although you will only need to complete sections 1, 3, 13 and 15 and we will only need to see proof of your National Insurance number and the income of the other people who live with you.  

You cannot claim second adult rebate if you are married or have a partner.


We welcome feedback about our website. We are continually working to improve the content of our website. If you have any suggestions on how it can be improved, or just want to offer some feedback on it, please use the form below.

Add Your Feedback
Add your rating (required)

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.