Universal Credit replaces Housing Benefit

From 5 December 2018 most working age residents who wish to make a claim for Housing Benefits will need to claim Universal Credit instead. Universal Credit is administered by The Department of Work and Pensions, not Hertsmere Borough Council.

Housing Benefit

You must still claim Housing Benefit if:

  • You are of pension age
  • You live in temporary or supported accommodation
  • Your Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Housing Benefit includes a severe disability premium
  • If you are making a claim for Housing Benefit, you will be making a claim for Council Tax Support on the same form

Please note that you must SUBMIT your application form once completed. If you do not submit your form, your application details will be deleted after 90 days in line with GDPR and The Data Protection Act 2018.

Council Tax Support

  • Council Tax Support can help you if you are having trouble paying your Council Tax.
  • You must still apply for Council Tax Support from us.
  • If you are making a claim for Housing Benefit, you will be making a claim for Council Tax Support on the same form.
  • The same form is also used for those claiming second adult rebate - please see below for an explanation of second adult rebate
  • Please see  About Council Tax Support for more information.

Second Adult Rebate

You can apply for a Second Adult Rebate on your Council Tax bill if you are solely liable for your property, but you share your home with someone who is not your partner, aged 18 or over, is on a low income and does not pay you rent.

When Should I make a claim?

DON'T DELAY - CLAIM TODAY! When you realise you need assistance with your rent or council tax make a claim straight away, even if you do not have all of the evidence you need to support the claim. Awards will usually start from the Monday after the date the form is received in the relevant office. 

Evidence and Further Information

You will need to provide evidence to support your claim. You will be given a list of what you must provide at the end of the application. Should we need any more evidence or information, we will write to you.

If you have any questions about making a claim for benefits please email benefits@hertsmere.gov.uk                                 or phone 020 8207 2277