Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button

Under Occupation in Social Housing ("The Bedroom Tax")

Last Modified April 24, 2017

Housing Benefit include a size limit rule for working age people renting from a local authority, a registered housing association or other registered social landlords. 

Does this rule affect my benefit award?

If you are of pensionable age, this rule does not affect you.

If you are of working age, your Housing Benefit award will be decided based on how many bedrooms your household needs.

You are allowed one bedroom for each of the following:

  • every adult couple (married or unmarried)
  • any other adult aged 16 or over
  • any two children of the same sex aged under 16*
  • any two children aged under 10*
  • any other child, (other than a foster child* or child whose main home is elsewhere)
  • a carer (or team of carers) who do not live with you but provide you or your partner with overnight care.

*There are exceptions where a child is severely disabled and as a result of that disability they are unable to share a bedroom. If you have been told that your rent will be restricted from April 2013 and you have a disabled child who is in receipt of the middle or the highest rate of disability living allowance, please contact the Benefit Office without delay. Where a claimant is a foster parent or has been a foster parent in the past 12 months, one additional bedroom can be allocated when calculating the number of bedrooms they are entitled to.

How could you be affected?

If you are assessed under these rules as having more bedrooms than are necessary for your household, you will be considered to be under-occupying that property.

If you are under-occupying there will be a reduction in your Housing Benefit . The amount allowed for rent and any service charges will be reduced by:

  • 14% for under-occupancy by one bedroom
  • 25% for under-occupancy by two bedrooms or more.

If you are currently under-occupying, or are thinking of moving to a larger property where you will be under-occupying, you need to consider how these changes will affect you financially.

You may be able to get a discretionary housing payment to make up all or some of the reduction - please ask us about this.

Does it affect everyone who is under-occupying?

This does not affect claimants who are of pensionable age. If you (or your partner if applicable) were born before 6 October 1951 your rent will not be restricted under these rules regardless of the size of your property.

You may also be exempt if you receive a disability benefit and need an extra bedroom for a partner or another family member due to the conditions of their disability; or if you have an extra bedroom for a carer who stays over when you need additional support.

What options do I have?

If you are affected by this rule and are not able to afford the shortfall between your benefit and your rent, it is important that you start to consider what your options might be and, where necessary, talk to your landlord or us. You could consider the following options:

Move home

If your financial and household situation is unlikely to change and you feel you would not be able to make up the shortfall in your rent on a long-term basis, you may decide it would be appropriate to move to a smaller property. Your landlord will be able to discuss this option with you and whether they have alternative accommodation available.

Ask other residents to increase their contribution

If you have other adults living with you, such as a grown up son or daughter, you may wish to consider asking them to pay more towards your rent than they currently do in order to help with the shortfall.

Take in a lodger

If you have a spare room you could consider renting this out to help with the rent. You should first check with your landlord whether this is permitted under the terms of your tenancy, and if you are currently in receipt of income support, job seekers allowance or employment support allowance, you should check with the Department of Work and Pensions if this will affect other benefits.

Take a job / increase your hours of employment

If you are not currently working, finding employment could help you with this shortfall. Depending on your current circumstances you will normally be able to earn a small amount without it affecting your benefits. Similarly, if you are currently working, increasing your working hours will normally mean you are better off financially. If you do chose to return to work or increase your working hours, remember to tell the Benefit Office and (if applicable) the Department of Work and Pensions of this change.

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

In certain circumstances we can award you additional help towards your rent via the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme. This is a fund to help claimants who we feel need further assistance with their housing costs. If there are genuine and compelling reasons why you need an additional bedroom or are unable to move to a smaller property - for example, if you or a member of your household are disabled and your property has been adapted to cater for this - you may wish to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment to cover the shortfall.

You must be entitled to either Universal Credit or Housing Benefit to be considered for a Discretionary Housing Payment towards your rent.

Please note: We expect there to be a significant demand during 2017/18 on these funds and cannot guarantee every application will be successful. Awards for additional help are usually made for a limited period to give you time to make alternative arrangements, and must not be relied on as a long-term solution.

Where can I find out more?

You can call us on 020 8207 7404 or visit us at the address below.

Your landlord  will be able to give you advice on what housing options are available to you. If, as a result of this change, you fall behind with your rent it is very important you speak to your Housing Association without delay.

Citizen's Advice Bureau - www.citizensadvice.org.uk - 020 8953 9961

Shelter Hertfordshire - www.shelter.org.uk - 0344 515 1944


We welcome feedback about our website. We are continually working to improve the content of our website. If you have any suggestions on how it can be improved, or just want to offer some feedback on it, please use the form below.

Add Your Feedback
Add your rating (required)

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.