If your household has a low income, you may be entitled to a reduction in the amount of council tax you have to pay. This is called Council Tax Support. 

What should I do next?

If you are on a low income and feel you may be entitled to help with your Council Tax, you should make a claim without delay.


When will my award start if I make a successful claim?

A Council Tax Support award will usually start from the Monday after the date the claim form is received in the benefits office.

Can I make a claim for Council Tax Support if I receive Universal Credit?

Your Universal Credit award will not include a contribution toward your Council Tax and you must make a claim for Council Tax Support with Hertsmere if you need assistance with your bill. If you are in receipt of Universal Credit, your council tax support will be calculated as per our banded scheme. 

The Council Tax Support Scheme if you are not in receipt of Universal Credit for 2021/22 is here:

Council Tax Support scheme 2021/22
(PDF, 1.34MB)