As Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans are no longer available from the Department of Work and Pensions, Hertfordshire County Council set up support to help people facing exceptional and unexpected difficulties.

Am I entitled to help from the Hertfordshire Welfare Assistance Scheme?

Help may be available if:

  • You have had to move due to exceptional circumstances such as, domestic violence, fire, flood, or being a victim of a crime.
  • You are on benefit sanctions.
  • You have started work and your benefit payments have stopped.
  • You have not had help from Hertfordshire Welfare Assistance in the last six months.

What type of help can I get from the Hertfordshire Welfare Assistance Scheme?

The type of help available from the Hertfordshire Welfare Assistance Scheme is:

  • An emergency food parcel containing three days’ worth of food, (tinned and dry goods).
  • A voucher to cover a small amount of electricity and gas (not available for smart meters provided by EON).
  • In exceptional circumstances, one essential item, such as, a table top fridge or table top cooker. (Washing machines and freezers not available).
  • A referral to the Citizens Advice Bureau for a full benefit check and budgeting and debt management advice.

How do I apply?

To apply for help from the Welfare Assistance Scheme please call Herts Help on 0300 123 4044

Where can I go for extra help?