Last Modified April 10, 2017
How to classify your film
Films that are to be shown to a public audience must be given a classification rating.
If you're a film maker or promoter, you can apply to either:
Apply for a film classification
To apply for the classification or reclassification of a film to be shown in the borough of Hertsmere, you must make your request in writing at least 20 working days before the film is to be shown.
Hertsmere Borough Council can only guarantee a film will be classified in time for it to be screened if it receives the request within the 20 working day period.
Download the film classification application form
- complete the film classification application form;
- provide a written synopsis of the film in your application;
- provide a DVD copy of the film;
- agree to us retaining the DVD.
Your DVD must meet the following criteria:
- it must play on a DVD player and contain all that you require classified
- it can be submitted on DVD-R, DVD+R (single or dual layer) or replicated (factory pressed) check discs
- it should be region two or region free (region 0). Both Pal or NTSC standards are accepted
- it must be encoded at a high enough bit rate to ensure acceptable picture quality and sound quality
- it must contain an on-screen title within the body of the work. If not, then a title slate or menu must be placed before the start of the work.
Applicants are advised to read the guidance before submitting the application form.
The guidance can be found here: guidance notes.
Where to send your application
Your application together with the DVD should be forwarded to:
Hertsmere Borough Council
For clarification on the above please email: firstname.lastname@example.org