Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button

Licensing Act 2003 General information

Last Modified April 14, 2022

Apply to the council if you intend to sell alcohol or provide 'licensable activities' from a particular venue.

Licensable activities include:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am

You’ll also need a licence if you provide the following types of entertainment:

  • theatrical performance
  • showing a film
  • indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • live music
  • recorded music
  • dance
  • facilities for making music
  • dancing facilities


You still need a licence even if the activities are for charity.

Types of licence

A personal licence is granted to an individual, which permits the sale of alcohol in conjunction with a premises licence.

Further information on applying for a personal licence.

A premise licence applies to all premises within Hertsmere that allows one or more licensable activities

Further information on applying for a premises licence.

 Licensing policy

You can read our Statement of Licensing Policy under the Licensing Act 2003

This policy seeks to promote:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm.


You can get further information on the Act from Home Office: Licensing Act 2003

 How to make Licensing Representation

Under the Licensing Act 2003, any person is able to make written representation in relation to certain types of applications. However, for a representation to be considered relevant, it must address the likely effect the granting of the application will have on the promotion of one or more of the following licensing objectives.

Licensing Act 2003 how to make a Licensing representation guidance.(PDF 361Kb)

Acts applicable to this section:

Licensing Act 2003

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.