Last Modified January 05, 2016
The Act promotes three key objectives to enable more freedom for business operators and customers, while clamping down on crime and disorder and protecting children and the vulnerable. These are:
- Preventing gambling being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime
- Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way, and
- Protecting children and other vulnerable people from being harmed or exploited by gambling.
The Gambling Commission is responsible for granting operating and personal licences for commercial gambling while we licence gambling premises in Hertsmere.
A Premises Licence is required where an individual or company wants to offer premises-based gambling. The licences are issued in respect of specific premises.
Under the Gambling Act 2005, Statement of Principles Gambling Policy 2015-2018 a Premises Licence is required for the following premises:
- bingo hall
- betting shop
- betting (track) - sporting venues not just tracks
- amusement arcade (for adults only, or where adult machines are provided)
Please look at or for further information the Gambling Commission
How much will it cost for an application?
Please see the Gambling Act 2005 Fee Structure. (Please note these fees where correct at time of publication and are subject to change at any time)
Gambling Act 2005