Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button

Licences A to Z

Last Modified September 13, 2016

Licences and registrations are required from us for a number of activities and you are not permitted to carry out the activities until the licences are in place.

For certain activities, you may not need a licence from us, but from another organisation.

Animal boarding licence

You need a licence from us for an animal boarding premises.

Animal movement

The conditions which apply to the movement of animals vary according to the type of animal, the destination and the type of trip.

Licences can be obtained from the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs. (DEFRA)

Building materials

If you wish to place building materials on any part of the highway you need to get permission from Hertfordshire County Council .

A licence is not normally necessary if materials are placed on private land.

Car boot sale

You do not need a licence from us for a car boot sale.

Caravan site

You need a licence to run a caravan and camping site.

Charity collections

You need a permit if you want to carry out house-to-house collections, you also need a permit for street collections

Dangerous wild animals

You need a licence from us to keep a dangerous wild animal

Dog breeding

You need a licence from us you breed four or more litters in any 12 month period 

Food business registration

You need to be registered with us to run a food business

Gambling premises

Premises such as casinos, bingo halls betting shops and amusement arcades need a licence under the Gambling Act 2005

Highway projection

If something you are doing may protrude / project over a public highway you may need a licence from Hertfordshire County Council.


You need to register certain types of lottery and submit returns 

Performance / stage licences for school age children

Children taking part in performances, such as broadcast performances, child photography or modelling, must have a licence from Hertfordshire County Council.

Petroleum licensing

Petroleum licensing is carried out by Hertfordshire County Council. 

Pet shop

You need a licence from us to run a pet shop.

Riding premises

You need a licence from us to run a riding establishment

Scaffolding and hoarding

When carrying out any building work/maintenance or removal of any part of a property which is adjacent to the public highway (road, pavement or rear lane), the safety of all users of the highway must be paramount. Permission is required from Hertfordshire County Council. Scaffolding licensing application - external website

Scrap metal


Second hand goods

You do not need a licence to trade in second hand goods in Hertsmere, but some local authorities require that you do so if you are going elsewhere remember to check with the relevant local authority first.


You need a licence from Hertfordshire County Council if you wish to place a skip on the highway. Skip licensing application - external website.

Street cafe

If you want to use a portion of a public street, road or place for the sale of food and drink and for the placing of tables, chairs and other furniture outside a restaurant or cafe for customers to use then you need to complete a street cafe application from Hertfordshire County Council.

Street trading

You do not currently need a licence from us to trade in our streets, although in many areas this is prohibited

Sunday trading

Large shops - those over 280sq.meteres - have certain restrictions when they trade on a Sunday

Water sports

Certain adventure activities for under 18s need to undergo inspection of their safety management systems and become licensed.

Activities covered include commercially run:

  • caving
  • climbing
  • trekking
  • watersports

You need to apply to the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority


You need a licence from us to run a zoo


We welcome feedback about our website. We are continually working to improve the content of our website. If you have any suggestions on how it can be improved, or just want to offer some feedback on it, please use the form below.

Add Your Feedback
Add your rating (required)

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.