Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button

Private hire and hackney carriage - Driver licences

Last Modified October 05, 2020

If you want to drive a private hire or hackney carriage vehicle you need a licence. Before being granted a licence, you need the following:

Driving Licence

You must have held a full UK driving licence no less then 36 months.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS Check)

You need to contact Hertsmere Borough Council to do a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced application.

You must provide a current passport (with a legal right to work in the UK), driving licence held for more than a year (photo card type), National Insurance, and at least two other documents for proof of identity.

The formal application process does not start until/unless a favourable reply has been received from the DBS.

More information is available in the Guidelines Booklet for Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Driver and Vehicle applicants and at the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS).

Please note for new applicants you have two months from the date of the DBS to complete your application. If not then a new application will be required. It is advisable to sign up to the update service when applying. This is available at www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service .

Medical examination

A certificate of fitness must be completed and signed by your own registered GP.

The certificate needs to be completed on:

  • The first licence application
  • Every five years after the first application up to your 65th birthday and every two years thereafter.
  • At other times when required/requested, eg after a medical operation or prolonged period of ill health.


Medical Examination Form

Knowledge tests

New applicants must undergo and pass a knowledge test before a driver licence can be granted. You must get 15 of the 20 route-type questions correct and eight out of 10 Highway Code questions correct. You are also tested on the council's Driver and Vehicle standard conditions. Those can be download at the bottom of this page.  We recommend you sit the knowledge test soon after you have given in your application.


Driving Tests - Diamond and Greeny Penny are the nominated provider for private hire and taxi testing in this area.


  • Applicants must undertake a driving assessment test. This like a DVLA driving test, only needs to be passed once and the pass certificate to be produced to the Licensing Authority. You will need to arrange a date and time for the assessment by contacting the nominated testers Diamond or Green Penny


  • When booking you must state what Licensing Authority you are applying to.


  • To pass the test, you must make no serious or dangerous faults and no more than 6 driver faults (this level has been set by Hertsmere Borough Council and not the providers)


  • If you require a wheelchair exercise to be included then book the Enhanced assessment taxi test. (You will require a wheelchair accessible vehicle to take this test)



  • DIAmond offers two levels of test - Standard and Enhanced - designed to assess your driving competency and your ability to transport passengers safely. As well as fulfilling a key licensing condition set by this local authority, successfully completing your DIAmond Test also gives you an internationally recognised award in advanced driving. You can find out more about the tests and book your assessment by clicking or entering the link below:



Green Penny



  • Green Penny offers two levels of test - Standard and Enhanced - designed to assess your driving competency and your ability to transport passengers safely


  • You can find out more about the tests and book your assessment by clicking or entering the link below:



  • Prefer to book your assessment by phone call 0330 111 7230


Taxi Safeguarding Classroom Course

 A new requirement for all new private hire / hackney carriage applicants is that they must complete a safeguarding course with The Blue Lamp Trust.

The course is undertaken virtually via zoom and a certificate is produced upon completion of the course.

The content includes training on relevant topics that the trade deals with such as, understanding what is meant by the term ‘safeguarding’,  understand what is meant by Child Sexual and Criminal Exploitation, Human Trafficking, Modern Slavery and Domestic Abuse, identifying  adults at risk and other vulnerable people and much more.

It course length is around three hours and a fee of £25.00 is paid upon booking the course.

Please click here to book the course through the Blue Lamp Trust’s website.


You must provide four colour passport sized photographs.

Right to Work


Applicants from outside the European Economic Area will be required to prove they have authority to work in the UK. i.e. UK visa or suitable documentation issued by the Home Office


Revoked, Suspended and Refused Taxi Drivers

National Register (NR3)

Hertsmere Borough Council has signed up to the national register of revoked, suspended and refused hackney carriage and private hire drivers (known as NR3). As such, any driver who has had their driver licence revoked, suspended, or had their application refused, will have their details recorded on this register.

This is being done to protect the public by ensuring that licensing authorities are aware of drivers who have been refused, suspended or revoked when determining whether a new or renewed licence application should be granted.

If you have had or have your driver licence revoked, suspended, or a driver’s application refused, your details will be submitted to the NR3 register.

Read our guidance information and complete our application form:

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.