You should apply to renew your licence to drive private hire or hackney carriage vehicles at least 1 month before its expiry date.  If you are unsure of when your licence expires you can find the date on your badge which you must wear when working.

 If you do not apply at least one month before your licence expires we may not be able to grant a new licence to start immediately after your licence expires. This means that you will be unable to work until such time as we grant the licence.

To renew your licence you will need to provide us with:

  1. The Completed Application Form
  2. Your Identify Documents
  3. Your DBS certificate and update service registration ID
  4. DVLA shared driving licence code
  5. Right to work code
  6. HMRC Tax registration code
  7. Two up to date passport photographs. 

Where to send it

You can email your application form to  with your identity documents, photographs and current DBS certificate. The other information must be entered on to the application form.  Alternatively you can drop the application off at our reception. You do not need an appointment. 

If you do not have an up to date DBS certificate you will need to apply for a new one through us and this may delay your renewal. 


Identity documents 

You will need to prove your identity by providing us with a number of identity documents. This is used to verify that you are who you say are, allow us to ensure you have the right entitlements and carry out the relevant criminal record check. The easiest set of documents to provide us with are:

  1.  Passport / Biometric residents permit
  2. DVLA driving licence
  3. A bank statement or utility bill issued within the last 3 months. 

DVLA Driving Licence Share Code

When completing your application you will need to provide a DVLA share code which you can obtain here:  View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK ( 

Right to Work Share Code

The majority of licensed drivers are self-employed and therefore you must be entitled to work in the UK as a self-employed person.  To prove your right to work you are encouraged to obtain a share code online from the government website: Prove your right to work to an employer - GOV.UK (

 If you are not able to obtain a share code, or you are a British or Irish citizen, you will need to provide documentary proof. 

HMRC Share Code

You should obtain proof that you are registered correctly to pay tax. You can do this by Completing a tax check for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence - GOV.UK (  

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS Check

You should have registered your DBS certificate on the DBS update service and will need to provide your original disclosure certificate and any additional update service registration information given to you by the DBS. 


You must provide two full colour passport sized photographs that reflect your current appearance, clearly show your face against a pale background. Glasses or headwear of any kind should not be worn.