Every death in England or Wales must be registered in the district in which it takes place within five days of the date of death. Information for the registration is given to the registrar by the person registering the death.

How to register a death

Hertfordshire County Council are responsible for the registration of births, deaths and marriages. You can register a death online on their website.

Alternatively, people living in Bushey, Elstree, Borehamwood and Shenley areas who wish to register a death should contact:

Watford Register Office 
31 Hempstead Road
WD17 3EY 
Tel: 01923 231302 

People living in Potters Bar who wish to register a death should contact:

Hatfield Register Office 
19B St Albans Road East 
AL10 0NG 
Tel: 01707 283921 

Where and how the death occurred will determine what steps need to be taken next. There are a number of documents that are required and procedures to go through. 

Find out more about what to do and how 

Repatriation of a body abroad

Some countries require a Cadaver Certificate before they will allow a body into the country for burial. The certificate, if issued, confirms that no epidemic of infectious disease occurred in the borough for some three months preceding the death. 
The certificate is issued by the Environmental Health Officer from the council in whose area the person died, or is to be exhumed from, before reburial elsewhere.

Repatriation of a body from abroad to England or Wales

If a death occurs abroad, the death should be registered according to the local regulations of that country and a death certificate should be obtained. To bring a body back to England or Wales you will need either the death certificate or an authorisation for the removal of the body from the country of death by someone authorised to do so.

Further information

Allum Lane Cemetery

West Herts Crematorium - details of the new crematorium which will open in Spring next year can be found here.