Tell us about your change of address 

Let us know straight away when you move home so you pay the right amount of Council Tax by calling (020) 8207 2277 or email

Moving to Hertsmere from another area

Tell us straight away with our Council Tax Incoming Resident Form (PDF, 78kb).  so you will have more time to pay your bill. You must pay it by 31 March. We charge you from the date you moved in to your new home. Your old council will charge you up to the date you left their area - remember to tell them the date you moved so they get your charge right.  Please email the form to when complete.

Moving within Hertsmere 

Please use our Council Tax Moving Within Borough Form (PDF, 48kb) to let us know that you have moved within Hertsmere Borough Council.  Please email the form to when complete.

Once your account has been amended we will send you a revised bill showing anything you still owe for your old address along with details of what you owe for your new address. If you've overpaid for your old address, we will usually use the credit to reduce what you owe at your new address. Your revised bill will tell you what your new instalments will be. 

Moving out of Hertsmere

Please use our Council Tax Outgoing Resident Form (PDF, 43 kb) to let us know that you have moved out of Hertsmere Borough Council. Please email the form to when complete.

We charge you up to the date before you move out. Your new council will charge you from the day you move into their area - remember to tell them you have moved in to their area so they can bill you at your new address.

Any other changes you need to tell us about

Tell us about changes straight away or you may end up paying the wrong amount of Council Tax.

  • If your council tax bill is reduced by Single Person Discount and your child turns 18.  You will continue to receive Single Person Discount if you are in receipt of Child Benefit on behalf of this child, until this ends, so please advise the council of the Child Benefit end date
  • If someone in your household dies and you are now the only adult resident in your home.
  • If someone comes to stay with you for a period of time (including friends or family). This may affect any discounts that you are receiving on your Council Tax bill
  • If someone moves out. If this means that you now live alone and are aged 18 or over you may be entitled to a Single Person Discount.
  • If you change your name due to marriage or divorce or the name on your account is incorrect
  • If you go into care or into hospital for a long period, or are away from home providing care for someone else


The above list are some examples. If you think a change may affect your Council Tax tell us anyway.