If you have moved to Hertsmere, please register for Council Tax straight away so you will have more time to pay your bill. We charge you from the date you move into your new home. Your old Council will charge you up to the date you left the area.
Please let us know if you have moved within or out of Hertsmere. If you are moving within the borough, we will send you a revised bill showing anything you still owe for your old address along with details of what you owe for your new address. If you've overpaid for your old address, we will usually use the credit to reduce what you owe at your new address. Your revised bill will tell you what your new instalments will be.
If you are moving out of Hertsmere, we charge you up to the day before you move. Your new Council will charge you from the day you move into their area.
Any other changes you need to tell us about
Tell us about changes straight away, either in writing or by email. If you do not inform us of a change of circumstances you may end up paying the wrong amount of Council Tax:
- If your council tax bill is reduced by Single Person Discount and your child turns 18. You will continue to receive Single Person Discount if you are in receipt of Child Benefit on behalf of this child, until this ends, so please advise the council of the Child Benefit end date
- If someone in your household dies and you are now the only adult resident in your home
- If someone comes to stay with you for a period of time (including friends or family). This may affect any discounts that you are receiving on your Council Tax bill
- If someone moves out. If this means that you now live alone and are aged 18 or over you may be entitled to a Single Person Discount
- If you change your name due to marriage or divorce or the name on your account is incorrect
- If you go into care or into hospital for a long period, or are away from home providing care for someone else
The above list are some examples. If you think a change may affect your Council Tax tell us anyway.