Domestic, industrial and commercial energy consumption including electricity, gas and other fuels, is one of the largest primary source of greenhouse gas emissions from local authorities.
There are three ways of reducing emissions from energy:
- reducing consumption
- improving efficiency of use
- moving to renewable sources.
What are we doing?
- We have installed solar panels on the roof of the Civic Office.
- We have switched to LED lighting at the Civic Office and are looking at avenues to procure green energy for our use.
- We have secured grant funding under Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery scheme to retrofit eligible residential properties in Hertsmere to improve energy efficiency. This will support households in staying warm and comfortable and reduce our carbon emissions by saving energy.
- We have partnered with iChoosr to bring forward Solar Together Hertsmere - an innovative new scheme offering high-quality solar photovoltaic (PV) panels and battery storage. It is a group-buying scheme, which brings Hertsmere households together to get high-quality solar panels at a competitive price, helping you through the process and keeping you informed at every stage.
- We have included Energy Hierarchy in the Interim Planning Position Statement on Climate Change for new developments.
What can residents do?
- If you’re a homeowner or residential landlord you may be eligible for a Green Homes Grant Funding towards the cost of installing energy efficient improvements to your home. Improvements could include insulating your home to reduce your energy use or installing low-carbon heating to lower the amount of carbon dioxide your home produces.
- Follow Energy Saving Trust advice on using energy wisely to lower your energy bills and reduce your emissions.
- Consider installing renewable energy technology such as solar panels and air source heat pumps in your homes. As well as helping the environment, making the switch to renewable energy can save you money.
- Consider registering your interest in solar panel and battery storage installation for your home at Solar Together Hertsmere.
What can businesses do?