Skip to content

Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button


Homelessness and domestic violence

Last Modified December 10, 2018

If you are suffering domestic violence at home, it is important you are aware of your rights and the services you can access.

Internet safety warning

If you're worried about someone knowing you have visited this website then please read this warning. It tells you how to take steps to increase your safety when using the internet.

Who can help me?

The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

The Citizens Advice Bureau can advise you on your rights and guide you towards other sources of help. Hertsmere CAB has offices in:

  • Elstree
  • Bushey
  • Potters Bar 
  • Radlett    

The council

We can advise you on your tenancy rights and give advice and help with re-housing. We will also be able to give you advice on claiming benefit and what you would be entitled to.

The police

The domestic violence liaison officer at your local police station can provide support and advice. A confidential meeting or phone advice is offered to any victim of domestic violence who needs help on how to deal with their situation.

You don't have to give your name. You will be given details of how the police, Social Services and other agencies, such as solicitors and housing departments, may be able to help with your situation, and their contact numbers.

The domestic violence liaison officers for Hertsmere can be contacted on: 101. In an emergency always call 999.


Shelter is a national charity which can advise you on your rights.


A solicitor will be able to give you legal advice on your situation, including:

  • Advice on whether you are entitled to legal aid to help with the cost.
  • Whether it is appropriate to get an injunction order to stop the perpetrator contacting you or coming near you.
  • Whether it is appropriate to get an ouster order to make the perpetrator leave the home and get you back in the property. This can only be done on your request.

There are many local solicitors listed in the phone book.

Where can I go?

If you are a housing association tenant, your landlord may be able to help you move. The two largest housing association landlords in Hertsmere are Affinity Sutton and Aldwyck Housing Group. You should contact your estates officer for advice and assistance.

If you are a home owner, live in private rented accommodation or with family or friends, contact any of the agencies listed above.

Women's Refuges

For advice please contact Hertfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline on 08 088 088 088.

Galop - Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people experiencing domestic violence. Helpline 0800 999 5428.

Women's Aid - National domestic violence charity. Helpline 0808 2000 247 (24 hours)

Watford's Women Centre - Telephone 01923 816229

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.