If you are suffering domestic abuse at home, it is important you are aware of your rights and the services you can access.

Who can help me?

The Citizens Advice Bureau can advise you on your rights and guide you towards other sources of help. Hertsmere CAB has offices in:

  • Elstree
  • Bushey
  • Potters Bar 
  • Radlett    

The council

We can advise you on your tenancy rights and give advice and help with re-housing. We will also be able to give you advice on claiming benefit and what you would be entitled to. If you are experiencing domestic abuse, please contact the Housing Options team on 020 8207 2277. You will be invited to attend an interview to explore how the council can assist you.

The police

The domestic abuse liaison officer at your local police station can provide support and advice. A confidential meeting or phone advice is offered to any victim of domestic abuse who needs help on how to deal with their situation.

You don't have to give your name. You will be given details of how the police, Social Services and other agencies, such as solicitors and housing departments, may be able to help with your situation, and their contact numbers.

The domestic abuse liaison officers for Hertsmere can be contacted on: 101. In an emergency always call 999.


Shelter is a national charity which can advise you on your rights.


A solicitor will be able to give you legal advice on your situation, including:

  • Advice on whether you are entitled to legal aid to help with the cost.
  • Whether it is appropriate to get an injunction order to stop the perpetrator contacting you or coming near you.
  • Whether it is appropriate to get an ouster order to make the perpetrator leave the home and get you back in the property. This can only be done on your request.

There are many local solicitors listed in the phone book.

Where can I go?

If you are a housing association tenant, your landlord may be able to help you move. The two largest housing association landlords in Hertsmere are Clarion Housing Association and Peabody. You should contact your estates officer for advice and assistance.

If you are a home owner, live in private rented accommodation or with family or friends, you can contact the advice agencies below.

If you are in need of further advice or need refuge accommodation, please contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 274.

Women's refuges

For advice please contact Hertfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline on 08 088 088 088.
Galop - Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people experiencing domestic abuse. Helpline 0800 999 5428.

Women's Aid - National domestic abuse charity. Helpline 0808 2000 247 (24 hours)

Watford's Women Centre - Telephone 01923 816229

Internet safety warning

If you're worried about someone knowing you have visited this website then please read this warning. It tells you how to take steps to increase your safety when using the internet.