Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button

Mutual exchange - House swap

Last Modified October 19, 2015

Information about exchanging your home with another council or housing association tenant.

What is a mutual exchange?

A mutual exchange gives tenants the opportunity to live in the property and area that meets their needs and involves two or more tenants exchanging their homes.

For tenants of registered social landlords swapping your tenancy with another tenant is often the only way of moving particularly if you are assessed as having a low, or no housing need.

How do I find someone to exchange with?

We do not operate a mutual exchange scheme, nor hold a list of people wanting to swap homes.

If you are interested in finding a mutual exchange there are various web exchange sites you can visit, most are free or charge a minimal fee.  Most Housing Associations in the Herts Choice Homes consortium subscribe to Homeswapper.

Check with your landlord as they may subscribe to homeswapper.co.uk - this service is free to tenants of landlords who subscribe. 

You may also be able to find an exchange partner by advertising, either via postcard adverts in local shops or through specialised sections in newspapers.

Websites that you can visit which offer exchange schemes:

Will I be allowed to exchange my property?

You will not be able to exchange your property if:

  • you, or either of the tenants, has a Notice of Seeking Possession and/or a court order against you - for example for arrears or anti-social behaviour, or 
  • the exchange would mean that one or both homes would be either overcrowded or under occupied. Note, you may be able to under occupy by one bedroom. The landlord of the property will let you know their rules on this.

Sometimes there may be conditions to be fulfilled before permission is granted - for example, clearing any rent arrears or putting right any damage to the property.

Your landlord will be able to provide advice and guidance. Your home will be inspected by your landlord before any exchange and arrangements are made.  You must never undertake an exchange before getting permission from your landlord.


We welcome feedback about our website. We are continually working to improve the content of our website. If you have any suggestions on how it can be improved, or just want to offer some feedback on it, please use the form below.

Add Your Feedback
Add your rating (required)

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.