King George Recreation Ground is the main park in Bushey.
It has received a Green Flag Award, recognising park excellence, every year since 1999.
The park opened in 1912 to commemorate the coronation of King George V and in 1926 the park was extended to its current size. It is still possible to make out the three fields and associated boundaries which make up the park area. Historically, the park once lay within the manor of Bushey and was farmland used for pasture and arable. In the mid-19th century all the fields were used as meadow for animal grazing and a hay crop. There is evidence of ridge and furrow in the middle field clearly showing that arable crops were grown here between the 11th and 16th centuries.
Following the decline of the park up to 1980s, £350,000 was spent refurbishing the ground between 1997 and 2000 and this investment is still ongoing. Our centenary leaflet has more information.
The Friends of King George Recreation Ground was established by the active involvement of the residents of Bushey who continue to ensure that the site is well-managed and available for the enjoyment of everyone.
To celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Hertsmere Borough Council's Silver Jubilee, a time capsule was buried in the park in the summer of 2002. Local school children chose the contents of the capsule to signify what 2002 meant to them.
A number of events are held in the park every year. These include a funfair, teddy bears' picnic, dog show, Easter egg hunt, music and more. Events are run on our behalf by Hertsmere Leisure.
Where can I find it?
King George Avenue
There are also entrances off Catsey Lane, Chiltern Avenue, Coombe Road, Pasture Close and Perry Mead.
What does it offer?
- Art sculptures
- Bowling Club
- Café (see below for more details)
- Car parks - off King George Avenue and Chiltern Avenue
- Community workdays
- Footpath network
- Friends group
- Green Flag Award
- Interpretation panels
- Litter bins
- Meadow area
- Multi-sports area
- Open grassland
- Picnic area
- Play area
- Splash park
- Tennis courts - four county standard
- Toilets (see below for opening times)
- Wildflower meadow
The Café is run independently from the council and serves a full range of refreshments. Following a full refurbishment the new vendors have opened the cafe for drinks and snacks with hot food available from Saturday 14 November.
Current opening times are from 8:30am until 5:30pm.
Opening times are:
April to May: 8am to 7pm
June to September: 8am to 9pm
October to March: 8am to 4pm
New Splash Park!
The ‘tropical island’ splash park which includes designated areas suitable for families, toddlers and pre-teens is now open.
The new splash park replaces the former paddling pool at the park, which opened in 1999 and, over the past few years, had encountered some operational difficulties. It has been funded by section 106 money, which is money given to the council through the planning process for local development.
The splash park will be open every day between 10am to 5pm until September.
Please Note: The splash park may open late on Saturday 10 June.
Tennis courts and multi sports courts
April to May - 8am to 7pm
June to September - 8am to 9pm
October to March - 8am to 4pm
Block bookings for the tennis courts can be made in advance for a fee, otherwise the courts are free for use on a first come, first served basis. In busy times we ask that people respect other users and restrict their games to one hour only. To book call us on Freephone 0800 731 1810.
23 May to early September (date tbc) - 8am to 6.30pm
Mid September to mid May - 8am to 3.30pm