Elstree and Borehamwood Museum was opened in 2013 and despite its small location of 50m squared, it has won an award for its achievements as ‘the Museum in a Shoebox’!
Collections and exhibitions
The museum has a wide range of archive photographs, social history collections and particularly features the film and television heritage of the area.
A team of dedicated volunteers design and create an exciting programme of vibrant and interactive exhibitions which change every six months.
The museum welcomes schools and community groups and has a volunteer Learning Officer and team of retired teachers to lead sessions with schools. See their website for details.
- Talks and presentations
- A free monthly reminiscence group meeting
- A changing programme of temporary exhibitions
Our museum is run entirely by volunteers and wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for members of our community who give their time freely.
We always need more volunteers so if you have a few hours a month/week or occasionally to spare, we would love your help. There is a surprising variety of activities on offer, so whatever your skills or personality, there is something for everyone volunteering at one of our museums.
Our volunteer team is a friendly and welcoming bunch. Whether you are looking to make new friends, or to add a new skill to your CV, there are many different ways to get involved:
- Front of house welcoming visitors to the museum and helping them get the most of their visit
- Cataloguing objects to helping with displays
- Researching our past by delving into our archives to find the hidden stories
- Creating and updating our online content
- Helping to research, design and curate temporary exhibitions
- Helping to keep the museum safe and looking at its best
- Facilitating school visits and helping families get the most out of the museum and our events
- Helping to research or run our reminiscence events within the local community
Our marvellous volunteers bring our local history to life. We are so proud of what they have achieved.
To volunteer please contact the museum.
For further information, please read our volunteer handbook (2.69 mb)or visit Elstree and Borehamwood Museum's Facebook page.