Anyone aged 12 years or over who fishes for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in England and Wales must have an Environment Agency Rod Fishing Licence.

Rod Licence

A rod licence is required by law and allows you to use a rod and line to fish. Rod licences are issued by the Environment Agency. Find out more about buying a rod fishing licence. 

Permits - often referred to as tickets or day tickets – are also required and give permission to fish in particular water or waters. They are issued by the owners, such as fishery owners, angling clubs etc.

Fishing in Hertsmere:

Oakmere Park, Potters Bar High Street, has two large lakes with freshwater fish. Currently there is no licenced club to use these waters, therefore no fishing is currently permitted. If you are an interested party that would be interested in holding the licence for these lakes, please contact