Bushey has a conservation area covering the High Street and Melbourne Road. There are also two Conservation Areas in Bushey Heath - High Road and The Lake.
We review conservation areas from time to time to see whether any additional locations should be included, or if any others need to be removed.
We look at issues such as why the area should be protected as a historically important part of the borough, consider good, neutral and poor features of the area so that recommendations for improvement can be made.
The Bushey High Street Conservation Area was last reviewed and updated in 2009.
Where is the Bushey High Street conservation area?
Download a map of the Bushey High Street and Melbourne Road Conservation Areas (PDF 379kb)
What issues does it cover?
Being in a Conservation Area affects what you can and cannot do to your property in a bid to preserve and enhance the area. Information on planning controls is available at the bottom of this page.
An appraisal can also make recommendations concerning the ways in which the Conservation Area is managed, which will be considered by the organisations involved. In this case they include:
- Design guidance for development
- The tightening of planning enforcement controls to better manage advertisements on shop fronts
- Possible parking controls
- Improvements to the pedestrian environment and a reduction in street clutter
- Possible introduction of more sensitively designed street lighting and, where practicable, road markings
- Tree Preservation Orders protecting the trees within the grounds of the Bushey Academy (formerly Bushey Hall School)
Report and recommendations
Bushey High Street CAA: Main Report (PDF 14.82mb)
Bushey High Street CAA: Suggested Boundary Changes and Management Proposals (PDF 1.33mb)
Bushey High Street CAA: Community Involvement (PDF 57kb)
Other supporting documents are available:
Bushey High Street CAA: Summary Leaflet (PDF 56.3kb)
Bushey High Street CAA: Planned Boundary Change Map (PDF 125kb)
Bushey High Street CAA: Note on Conservation Area Controls (PDF 47kb)
The full version of the Bushey High Street Conservation Area Appraisal is available at our offices in Borehamwood, at Bushey Library and online in our Bushey office.