If you need to get vehicle or wheelchair access onto your property, you can apply to have the kerb lowered to make it easier.

How Do I Get A Kerb Lowered?

Being able to lower or drop a kerb depends on where you live.  You can contact us for advice in the first instance.

Do I Need Planning Permission?

You need planning permission if you live on a classified road, i.e. an A, B or C road.  Apply online using the form for householder planning consent. You do not need planning permission if you live on an unclassified road. Pedestrian crossings e.g. to get wheelchairs on and off the footway do not require planning permission.  Any application for the construction of a domestic crossing may be refused or modified on the grounds of safety.

How Much Will It Cost?

There is a fee to apply for planning permission.  Contact us and we can advise you. Whether you are granted permission, or live in an area where permission is not required, you will have to pay for the crossing or dropped kerb to be installed.

Who Carries Out the Work?

The work must be carried out by Hertfordshire County Council's Highways department.

Conditions of Dropped Kerbs

There are a number of conditions which apply to how the dropped kerb / crossing can be built and used. This includes conditions around:

  •  Drainage
  •  Gates
  •  Hardstandings
  •  Obstacles to construction
  •  Parking within your property
  •  Permitted types of vehicles
  •  Shared access
  •  Size of the crossing
  •  Standard finish
  •  Street furniture
  •  Two crossings at the same property

If you decide to go ahead with the construction you must remove the fence, wall or hedge within the property at the place where the crossing will be located before construction can take place.  

View the Hertfordshire County Council website for full conditions and more information.

Rights of Way and Maintenance of Dropped Kerbs

The construction of a vehicle crossing by Hertfordshire Highways does not give the occupier of the premises any particular rights, except to drive across the footway to gain access to your property.  The crossing itself is part of the public highway.

Once the crossing is completed satisfactorily, Highways will assume responsibility for its maintenance, providing no damage is caused to it by illegal use.

More Information

Contact Hertfordshire County Council Highways on 0300 1234 047 or write to: Hertfordshire County Council Highways County Hall Pegs Lane Hertford SG13 8DQ.