Skip to content

Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button

Home > Transport, Streets & Parking > Parking > Controlled parking zones and permits

Controlled parking zones and permits

Last Modified July 01, 2016


Controlled Parking Zone Bushey footwayWe operate a number of controlled parking zones in Hertsmere and have a number of different types of parking permit.

What is a controlled parking zone (CPZ)?

 A CPZ provides us with the legal means we need to control parking within a designated area. All roads included within a CPZ will be subject to some form of parking control.

The hours of operation will vary depending on the method of control used but as a general guide will be between 8am to 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday.

The CPZ is not in operation on Sundays or Bank Holidays. Please note yellow lines are enforcable year round.

There are two categories of parking control within the CPZ:

  • yellow lines (waiting restrictions/prohibitions) and
  • residential/visitor parking bays, which are marked out with white lines.

Both are enforced by our Civil Enforcement Officers (previously known as parking attendants or traffic wardens).

What are they used for?

CPZ schemes are used to deal with increasing parking/traffic related problems experienced by residents and businesses. The main aim has been to discourage long-stay parking by non-residents and commuters in a specific area.

How will I recognise a CPZ?

There are road signs which will tell you when you are entering and leaving a CPZ. Each different type of parking control can be identified from the various road signs (or plates) that have been put on posts or lamp columns.

I live / work / visit friends in a CPZ. How can I park there?

There are a number of different permits available if you live in, work in or need to visit within a CPZ.


Holders of parking permits should note however that a permit does not give you the legal right to park your vehicle(s) immediately outside of your house or in a specific parking space.

If you are visiting a residence within a controlled parking zone you must obtain a visitor's permit or voucher from the resident and clearly display within your vehicle. When a motorcyclist is visiting, the resident should scratch off the appropriate areas of the voucher and call Parking Services on 0208 207 7422 to advise us of the permit's serial number and the motorcycles registration mark.  

I would like a CPZ in my area

We receive a large number of complaints from residents about parking problems, asking for parking controls to be introduced.

If problems are reported on the grounds of safety then it will be the responsibility of Hertfordshire County Council, the Highway Authority, to consider any need for introducing yellow lines or other measures and you will need to contact them direct:

This council has responsibility for controlled parking zones and if you would like a scheme to be considered write to our Senior Traffic Engineering Technician at our main address, or email:

How do you prioritise the requests?

We received a large number of requests every year to introduce of a CPZ.

The list of requests is prioritised every year in consultation with the councillor who has responsibility for environment and transport issues. There are three priorities.

Priority one: Cases where there are urgent access issues, such as emergency services or other vehicles are unable to enter a road. These are fairly straightforward and very limited consultation is required. These are very unlikely to be opposed during formal and informal consultation stages.

Priority two: These are cases where residents are competing with commuters/local workers for limited road space.  Comprehensive consultations / discussions with local councillors / residents and / or businesses is required.

Priority three: These are non-urgent cases where alternative on-street parking is available elsewhere within street, or there is an existing CPZ, or the issue(s) to be resolved is not considered to be in need of urgent attention.

What is the process?

Any request to introduce a CPZ will require an initial investigation, followed by statutory procedures if a scheme is possible. 

Once work is prioritised, informal consultations are carried out to seek the views of residents.  If the majority of people who respond feel that there is a problem, a scheme is designed and further consultation is carried out with ward councillors, residents, police and the highway authority.  Appropriate amendments are made to the proposed scheme according to the comments received.

Once a scheme is agreed by at least 60% of residents who reply to the consultation, formal legal consultation is carried out in the form of advertising in local newspapers and inviting comments / objections from any resident/stakeholder. This includes Hertfordshire Constabulary, Freight Transport Association Ltd and Road Haulage Association.

After the legal process / consultations, a legal document called a Traffic Regulation Order will be made, sealed and signed.  A scheme will be implemented, with signs and road markings introduced soon after.

What happens if there is an objection?

The councillor who is the Environment and Transport Portfolio Holder will work with officers to consider any objections and will decide:

  • whether to overrule them, in which case the proposals will be implemented in full, or;
  • whether to accept them, in which case the scheme will need to be amended.

Further consultation is only required on the amendments if they are more (rather than less) restrictive than the original scheme.  

How long does the process take?

Straightforward priority one requests typically take four to five months from initial consultation through to any introduction of signage and road markings.

Priority two and three requests will invariably take longer and may not always go ahead, particularly if there is no consensus from other people living in the area which would be affected.

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.