Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button

Who looks after what?

Last Modified July 21, 2016

Bus passes

Concessionary bus passes offer free nationwide off-peak travel on local buses in England for older and disabled people. Apply to Hertfordshire County Council.

Fault reporting

Hertfordshire County Council run this service. You can report faults using their Highways fault reporting line. 

Gritting and salting 

Hertfordshire County Council provide this service.


We are responsible for a number of car parks and for controlled parking schemes in our borough.

If there are vehicles parked on pavements causing an obstruction to pedestrians or road users, you can report them:

  • To us on 020 8207 2277 if there are waiting restrictions in place. Our civil enforcement officers will investigate.
  • To Hertfordshire Constabulary on 101 if there are no waiting restrictions, but a vehicle is causing an obstruction.


Pavements and foot ways are maintained by Hertfordshire County Council.

Public rights of way

There are 155 km of public rights of way in Hertsmere, including:

  • footpaths, for use by walkers
  • bridleways, for use by horse riders, cyclists and walkers
  • BOATs (Byways Open to All Traffic) have footpath, bridleway and vehicular rights
  • RBs (Restricted Byways) have footpath and bridleway rights and also rights for non-motorised (i.e. horsedrawn) vehicles.

The rights of way network in Hertsmere is managed and maintained by Hertfordshire County Council.

Road adoption

Hertfordshire County Council provide this service.

Roads and highways closures and diversions

Hertfordshire County Council provide this service. You can find out about roadworks in your area.

However if you are organising an event you will need to contact us.

Road signs

Hertfordshire County Council provide this service.

Street furniture

We are responsible for maintaining the public seating in the borough. All other street furniture is dealt with by Hertfordshire County Council.

Speed humps

Hertfordshire County Council provide this service.

Street lighting

Hertfordshire County Council provide this service.

Street names and name plates

We are responsible for ensuring street name plates are provided and fitted in suitable positions and for their repair and maintenance. To report damaged, missing or illegible street name plates contact us at our address below or email engineering.services@hertsmere.gov.uk

If you wish to change the name or number of an existing property, or name or number new developments, there is a charge. See our street numbering section for more information.

Tourism signs

Hertfordshire County Council provide this service.


Vandalism is an illegal, anti-social activity that creates a negative impression of an area. If you witness such activity taking place you should contact the police on 101, or in an emergency 999. You can report issues like fly-tipping and graffiti to us.


We welcome feedback about our website. We are continually working to improve the content of our website. If you have any suggestions on how it can be improved, or just want to offer some feedback on it, please use the form below.

Add Your Feedback
Add your rating (required)

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.