Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button


Local councillors, MPs and MEPs

Last Modified January 17, 2017

Councillors, MPs and Members of European Parliament are elected to represent you. But who are they?

Hertsmere Borough Council councillors

Hertsmere is divided into 15 wards and each ward has either two or three councillors. Councillors are elected for a four year tem to represent the area and help make decisions about local issues.   The next election of Hertsmere councillors will take place on 2 May 2019.

Find out who your Hertsmere borough councillor is, you can search by ward, name or party.


Members' Allowances and Expenses

The council's members' allowances scheme is made under the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 and the Local Government Act 2000 and in accordance with the Local Authorities (Members' Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003.

The regulations above allow councils to make a scheme which specifies the amount of allowance payable to members, including travel and subsistence allowances.  However, the council must have regard to the recommendation of an independent remuneration panel in setting the allowances.

The allowances payable to councillors in Hertsmere are set by an independent remuneration panel on members' allowances which undertakes to review allowances in accordance with government guidelines. 

The council is required under the above regulations to publish its scheme of allowances for councillors.  Details of the council's current scheme, as approved by the council on 20 November 2013, are set out below and will apply until the scheme is amended or replaced.

If a member's term of office does not cover the whole of a year, the amount of allowance payable will be proportionate to the actual term served.

View Members' Allowances Scheme

View Councillors' Allowances and Expenses 2014 to 2015.

View the report of the Independent Remuneration Panel on Members' Allowances.


Other local councillors - Hertfordshire county councillors and town/parish councillors

In Hertsmere there are also county councillors and some areas have town/parish councillors.

You can find out who they are and other information via Hertfordshire County Council.


Members of Parliament (MPs)

Members of Parliament or MPs are elected in a general election, held every five years or so. Each MP serves in the House of Commons, representing their constituency.

Find out who your MP is by visiting the House of Commons website


Members of the European Parliament

Members of the European Parliament or MEPs are elected in a European election and serve for up to five years.

Further information on the European Parliament, including who your MEP is, can be obtained from the European Parliament website.


We welcome feedback about our website. We are continually working to improve the content of our website. If you have any suggestions on how it can be improved, or just want to offer some feedback on it, please use the form below.

Add Your Feedback
Add your rating (required)

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.