Each councillor has £500 to spend on worthwhile projects in their ward. Please read the notes below before completing the application form.
What is the Ward Improvement Initiative Scheme (WIIS)?
Each of our 39 councillors has £500 to spend on worthwhile projects in their ward that support Hertsmere's corporate goals, which include:
- Protect and enhance the natural environment
- Build a safe and cohesive community
- Support residents to be healthier and live longer
- Support a thriving community
- Provide opportunities to enable all the people of Hertsmere to lead fulfilling lives
WIIS cannot be used to fund projects in any single ward which require further capital or revenue expenditure or create any form of ongoing year-on-year financial commitment by the council.
What can be funded through the scheme?
Some typical improvement projects which would be eligible for consideration under WIIS are:
- Improvements to public areas, such as chairs, benches, children's play equipment, adult outdoor fitness equipment and improved signage.
- New or replacement equipment for either a community hall or meeting place which promotes greater levels of use by the local community.
- New or replacement equipment for a not-for-profit organisation whose activities support our corporate goal(s).
- Local events which promote our corporate goal(s) such as organised sport, physical activity, heritage or cultural life.
Other improvement ideas not covered here may also be eligible for consideration under WIIS if they are consistent with our current corporate goals. Please note, this list is not exhaustive.
Items not eligible include:
Some typical improvement projects which would not be eligible for consideration include:
- Paying employees or other people engaged in local community work on a long-term basis.
- Large capital works which lead to ongoing financial commitments for the council.
- Projects which benefit only a few select people.
Please note, this list is not exhaustive.
How do I apply for funding?
You should first discuss your proposal with your local councillor before completing the online application form. You can also print out a copy and complete by hand.
Once submitted, your application will be reviewed by the councillor who will then decide whether or not to support it. The application will then be assessed by two senior officers within the council. You will be notified by letter or email whether or not your application has been successful and, if applicable, the process to follow to claim the funding.
Who can receive a funding?
Any properly constituted group, club or organisation, which is based in, or operates for the benefit of the residents of Hertsmere and has its own bank account.
My project is already running, can I request funding?
Yes, if there are still activities which require funding. However, you cannot apply for retrospective funding.
How do I claim funding?
We may be able to provide money up-front. We would require evidence of expenditure within three months of payment. If the money has not been spent in accordance with the application you will be asked to return the money. All payments made will be made by Banker Automated Clearing Service (BACS). Under no circumstances will cheques or cash be issued.
What records do we need to keep if we receiving funding?
You will need to obtain and retain (for a period of three years) evidence of expenditure, this includes invoices and receipts.
You will be expected to produce a brief evaluation showing how the grant was used and how effectively it addressed the aims outlined in your request form six months after the award. This can be supplemented with other material such as a press report.
What has been funded before?
WIIS payments in 2010/11
WIIS payments in 2011/2012
WIIS payments in 2012/2013
WIIS payments in 2013/2014
WIIS payments in 2014/2015
WIIS payments in 2015/2016
WIIS payments in 2016/2017
WIIS payments in 2017/2018
WIIS payments in 2018/2019
WIIS payments in 2019/2020