Last Modified November 08, 2023
It is a legal requirement to be on the electoral register. The law makes it compulsory to provide information to an electoral registration officer for inclusion in the full register. The details we are likely to require are; your name, address, national insurance number, nationality and age.
The full register is published once a year and is updated every month. It is used by electoral registration officers and returning officers for purposes related to elections and referendums. Although it is a legal requirement to be on the register, it is not a legal requirement to vote, that is your statutory right to choose to vote or not. The register is also used by local authorities and government departments to aid in duties relating to security, law enforcement and crime prevention.
Currently not registered? Or need to update your registration?
You can use the online registration service to;
- Register for the electoral register,
- Update your name, address or nationality or
- Opt in or out of the open register
Who can register?
You must be aged 16 or over to register.
You must also be one of the following:
- All British, Commonwealth, Irish and other European Union citizens.
- Crown servants employed outside the United Kingdom.
- Members of HM Forces and their spouses.
- European citizens are allowed to vote in European and local elections only.
- Overseas electors.
- Overseas electors are allowed to vote in Parliamentary and European elections only.
You can vote when you are 18 or over.
You can check which elections you are eligible to vote in.
You can register as an overseas voter if you:
- are a British or eligible Irish citizen
- were registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years
You can register to vote in the same way at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
However, you must select "British citizen living in another country" and input when you left the United Kingdom and where you were registered previously.
The easiest way to vote as an overseas elector is by postal vote or by nomination of a proxy to vote on your behalf. You can apply online by completing the online form;
Deadlines for electoral registration
If your application is submitted or altered after the application deadline, your registration will be published on the following months publication date.
| Application deadline||publication date |
|10 October 2023
||1 November 2023
|22 November 2023
||1 December 2023
|11 December 2023
||2 January 2024
|10 January 2024
||1 February 2024
|8 February 2024
||1 March 2024
|11 March 2024
||2 April 2024
For further assistance please email email@example.com or call 02082077481.