Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button

Overseas Electors

Last Modified February 16, 2024

If you are a British citizen (which includes eligible Irish citizens and citizens of the Crown Dependencies), you may register as an overseas elector if you are living abroad, providing:

  • before you left the UK, you were registered to vote in Hertsmere as an ordinary elector
  • you have previously been registered as an overseas elector and your declaration has expired
  • you were last registered on the basis of a declaration of local connection, as a merchant seaman or as a service voter.


You can also register as an overseas elector if you have been previously resident in Hertsmere but have never been registered to vote. This includes:

  • if you were resident in Hertsmere but not registered
  • you were too young to register when you left the UK
  • if you had no fixed abode when you left the UK and you would have been eligible to make a declaration of local connection or if you left the UK before 2001 (when declaration of local connection provisions were not in force).

To register as an overseas voter, follow these steps:

Step 1: Apply to register to vote online as a British Citizen living in another country.

Step 2: Once you are registered you will need to apply for your ‘absent vote’. Due to the time constraints related to postal votes, we do recommend to all overseas electors to apply for a proxy vote (someone to vote in your polling station on your behalf)

You can view more about absent votes on our different ways to vote page.

Renewing your declaration

Overseas voters must renew their registration approximately every 3 years to retain their right to vote from abroad.

If you do not renew your registration, your name will be removed from the electoral register.

We will send a renewal form to you before your declaration is due to expire.

Important - if you are an existing overseas elector, you cannot renew your overseas declaration by making a new application. You must respond to your renewal declaration that we send you.


Related External Links

  1. Different ways to vote

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.