The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections. This new requirement will apply for the first time in England at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023.

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable.  You can use any of the following:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (including provisional license)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national identity cards


For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

If you don’t have an accepted form photo ID



If you do not have an accepted form of ID you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate. Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate.

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, contact your local council. To find their contact details visit

Please see our helpful guides for more information

Voter ID guide

Voter ID guide for people experiencing homelessness

Voter ID guide for Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities

Voter ID guide for older people

Voter ID guide for trans and non binary people

Voter ID easy read guide

Voter ID guide for blind and partially sighted people

Accessibility at polling stations

If you would like to know about accessibility arrangements at our polling stations, please find out more on our accessibility at the Polling Station page.


Find out more

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.