Last Modified May 14, 2019
How can I make an application to become private hire driver?
You must make it in person at the Civic Offices in Borehamwood. Please note this is by appointment only.
How do I make an appointment?
Call us on:
- 020 8207 2277 ask for Licensing
When will I get an appointment?
Monday: 9am to 1pm
Tuesday: 12pm to 3.30pm
Wednesday: Sorry, no appointments
Thursday: 12pm to 3.30pm
Friday: 9am to 1pm
What do I need to bring to the appointment?
You will need to bring:
- A full current UK driving licence that has been valid for at least 36 months (three years) prior to the date of application.
- Proof of identification: passport with the right to be in the UK were applicable, birth certificate, marriage certificate and a utility bill showing current address
- National Insurance number proof, card or correspondence
- Four colour passport size photographs
- Application fee - £225 for a three year badge
- DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS)) application form and fee of £44 either by cash, debit card or credit card
- Fully completed application form including two referees
How long does it take to get a licence?
This depends on how quickly the vetting by the Disclosure & Barring Service takes, and how quickly you can pass the knowledge, medical and the nominated driving test.
What does a knowledge test involve?
The test comprises three sections:
- 20 geographical questions for which you are required to get 15 of these correct.
- 10 highway code questions for which you are required to get eight of these correct.
- 10 licensing standard conditions questions for which you are required to get all 10 correct (multiple choice).
Can I hold both a Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver's Licence at the same time?
Yes. The requirements for both licences are basically the same.
Will criminal or driving convictions affect an application?
Yes. However, guidelines apply and each case is dealt with on its own merits (see Guidelines to the Relevance of Convictions).
Is there an upper and lower age limit to become a licensed driver?
No. As long as you have held your UK Driving Licence for at least 36 months and your medical examination is satisfactory.
Is there an age limit on the vehicle?
Yes. Vehicles over four years old from first registration may not be considered suitable for licensing for the first time, however each case will be decided on its own merits.
What type of vehicle is suitable to be used as a Hackney Carriage?
Vehicles over five years old from first registration may not be considered suitable for licensing for the first time.
Any purpose-built vehicle having obtained European Whole Vehicle Type Approval in the M or M1 Category will be considered. However please contact a member of the licensing team before any vehicle is purchased to confirm its suitability.
How can I contact you?
You can write to our Licensing Team at our main offices, by email: email@example.com or call us on: 020 8207 2277 ask for Licensing