Last Modified January 24, 2017
How can I make an application to become private hire driver?
You must make it in person at the Civic Offices in Borehamwood. Please note this is by appointment only.
How do I make an appointment?
Call us on:
- 020 8207 7551
- 020 8207 7533
- 020 8207 7580
- 020 8207 7552
When will I get an appointment?
Monday: 9am to 1pm
Tuesday: 12pm to 3.30pm
Wednesday: Sorry, no appointments
Thursday: 12pm to 3.30pm
Friday: 9am to 1pm
What do I need to bring to the appointment?
You will need to bring:
- A full current UK driving licence that has been valid for at least 12 months prior to the date of application. If new style, plastic card and paper counterpart
- Proof of identification: passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate and a utility bill showing current address
- National Insurance number proof, card or correspondence
- Four colour passport size photographs
- Application fee - £215 for a three year badge
- DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS)) application form and fee of £44 (cheque or postal order payable to Disclosure & Barring Service)
- Fully completed application form including two referees
How long does it take to get a licence?
This depends on how quickly vetting by the Disclosure & Barring Service takes, and how quickly you can pass the knowledge, medical and DVLA driving test.
What does a knowledge test involve?
The test comprises three sections:
- 20 geographical questions for which you are required to get 15 of these correct.
- 10 highway code questions for which you are required to get eight of these correct.
- 10 licensing standard conditions questions for which you are required to get all 10 correct.
Can I hold both a Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver's Licence at the same time?
Yes. The requirements for both licences are basically the same.
Will criminal or driving convictions affect an application?
Yes. However, guidelines apply and each case is dealt with on its merits (see Guidelines to the Relevance of Convictions).
Is there an upper and lower age limit to become a licensed driver?
No. As long as you have held your UK Driving Licence for at least 12 months and your medical examination is satisfactory.
Is there an age limit on the vehicle?
Yes. Vehicles over eight years old from first registration may not be considered suitable for licensing for the first time, however each case will be decided on its own merits.
What type of vehicle is suitable to be used as a Hackney Carriage?
Any purpose-built vehicle having obtained European Whole Vehicle Type Approval in the M or M1 Category will be considered. However please contact a member of the licensing team before any vehicle is purchased to confirm its suitability.
How can I contact you?
You can write to our Licensing Team at our main offices, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us using the numbers listed above.