Article 4 Directions remove some, or all, permitted development rights from properties in a particular area. This means that some forms of development require full planning permission.
Article 4 Directions are only issued after careful consideration when it is felt that certain forms of uncontrolled development, such as certain extensions or changes to windows and doors, would harm the special character of an area, particularly where the development would be visible from the public highway. Directions introduced within a Conservation Area are known as Article 4(1) Directions.
In April 2019, non-immediate Article 4 Directions were introduced within the borough's employment areas. For further information please visit: Article 4 Directions - Hertsmere Employment Areas
Each direction is different, and places unique restrictions on works that can be carried out without needing planning permission. Some are available to download below, but if the one you are looking for is not listed, please contact us for full details.
Please note: planning applications required by an Article 4 Direction were previously exempt from planning application fees. On 17 January 2018 the Governments removed this exemption and a fee is now payable.
Article 4 Directions:
- Reveley Almshouses, Park Road, Bushey (PDF 474kb)
- Sparrows Herne, Little Bushey Lane, Bushey (PDF 337kb)
- The Moorings, The Avenue and 125 Aldenham Road, Bushey (PDF 321kb)
- Went House, 105 Bushey Grove Road, Bushey (PDF 390kb)
- Warren Road, The Comyns, The Lake, Coles Green, Bushey Heath (1) (PDF 348kb)
- Warren Road, The Comyns, Coles Green, Rose Lawn, Bushey Heath (2) (PDF 306kb)