In the light of the current situation regarding the coronavirus, the Community Grants scheme has now been suspended.
We offer small-scale financial support to local voluntary groups and organisations to help them provide a range of community services to Hertsmere residents. Charitable / voluntary organisations can apply for up to £2,000.
Please read the information below and the guidance notes (PDF 147kb) before completing a community grant application form.
Organisations who receive a community grant are expected to achieve one or more of our corporate priorities:
- Supporting our communities (for example: support our residents to be healthier and live longer; work in partnership to build a safe, strong and cohesive community or provide opportunities to enable all the people of Hertsmere to lead fulfilling lives, or activity / project that supports Hertfordshire’s Year of Culture 2020)
- Planning for the future (for example: ensure future growth meets the needs of the borough and its residents; support a thriving community; help increase the support of affordable housing to meet local need or seek to protect and enhance the natural environment)
- Being an enterprising council (for example: maintain financial resilience and work towards self sufficiency; explore innovative ways to deliver services, particularly through collaborative working or optimise use of our assets: land, property, staff and financial).
Who can apply?
Any properly constituted group, club or organisation, which is based in, or operates for the benefit of, residents of Hertsmere.
- All organisations, groups or clubs must have either charitable, voluntary or not-for-profit status.
- All organisations, groups or clubs must have a bank account that requires at least two signatories.
Priority will be given to voluntary and community sector organisations based in or around Hertsmere and delivering activities or services to the people of Hertsmere. At least 50% of the organisations' members / clients / users must live or work in our borough.
Organisations must be committed to Equal Opportunities and provide a copy of their Equalities Policy.
Who cannot apply?
- Faith groups whose sole purpose is promoting or benefiting a belief or group of believers
- Profit-making organisations/groups
- Statutory bodies/other public bodies
What can you apply for?
A one-off community grant for a specific project or purchase, up to a maximum of £2,000.
A community grant can be given to help with a variety of things such as:
- Buying equipment (e.g computers, sport equipment, craft material etc.)
- Producing marketing information for events / shows etc.
- Research costs
- Start-up costs for new initiatives/projects
- Training costs
- Upgrading existing facilities
- Venue hire to host special events (e.g. put on a play or pantomime etc.)
Your organisation must identify a specific need which will not require ongoing financial support from us.
The application must be supported by estimates for the project where appropriate, or a price list for items of equipment.
What can you not apply for?
You cannot apply for revenue expenditure that is ongoing year on year spending commitments, for example:
- Day-to-day running costs, such as rent or venue hire, gas and electricity bills of an organisation
- Insurance costs
- Staff wages
How can I apply?
You need to complete and print a community grant application form (PDF 227kb), or a Microsoft Word (DOC 81kb) version of the form or complete the on-line application form. Our guidance notes (PDF 147kb) will help you complete this application form. We can also send a form in the post to you, just call us on 020 8207 7801 or email email@example.com to ask for this.
The deadline for receipt of completed applications is 5pm on Friday 17 April 2020.
Where do I send the application form?
Send your completed application form and supporting documents to Partnerships and Community Engagement at our main offices.
What has been funded before?
Capital Grants 2011-2012 (PDF 117kb)
Community Grants 2012-2013 first round (PDF 12kb)
Community Grants 2012-2013 second round (PDF 11kb)
Community Grants 2012-2013 Annual Report (PDF 1,338kb)
Community Grants 2013-2014 first round (PDF 12kb)
Community Grants 2013-2014 second round (PDF 53kb)
Community Grants 2014-2015 (PDF 87kb)
Voluntary Sector Funding 2014-2015 Annual Report (PDF 1,134kb)
Community Grants 2015-2016 (35kb)
Voluntary Sector Funding 2015-2016 Annual Report (PDF 2,149kb)
Community Grants 2016-2017 (PDF 117kb)
Community Grants 2017-2018 (PDF 30kb)
Voluntary Sector Funding 2016-2017 Report (PDF 1,783kb)
Community Grants 2018-2019 (PDF 26kb)
Community Grants 2019-2020 (PDF 30kb)