Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs), Planning Briefs and other guidance
SPDs are prepared under the Local Plan system and provide additional information on policies in the Core Strategy. They explain in greater detail how policies will be used to control development and are a material consideration when we are assessing planning applications.The Secretary of State will give substantial weight to SPDs in making decisions that come before him where that SPD derives out of, and is consistent with, the development plan and has been prepared in a proper manner. Our SPDs are prepared in consultation with the general public and other interested parties and their views are taken into account before a final version is adopted. Any SPDs which are at the consultation stage are published on our Planning Consultations page.
- Affordable Housing SPD - This SPD defines affordable housing and the threshold above which developers will be expected to provide affordable units. It also provides guidance on the design and layout of affordable housing, and information on negotiable Section 106 agreements. A new SPD was adopted on 14 October 2015.
- Bhaktivedanta Manor Planning Brief SPD Bhaktivedanta Manor is recognised as a site of special religious significance. In recent years a number of planning applications have been submitted in response to the pressures faced by the Bhaktivedanta Manor community. The brief has been prepared by our planning officers in consultation with the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) to provide a clear plan for the future development of Bhaktivedanta Manor.
- Biodiversity and Trees SPD - Details the local wildlife sites in Hertsmere and provides details on habitat creation and maintenance and the protection of trees throughout the development process.
- Parking Standards SPD - Sets out the standards of car parking that we expect to be delivered by all new development in the borough. It applies to householder extensions as well as larger-scale developments.
- Planning and Design Guide SPD - Sets out our principles as a guide for homeowners, developers and anyone else carrying out work which requires planning permission.
- Developer Contributions Framework - (DCF). Sets out the basis for financial contributions which we seek in association with new development. The Council has adopted the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) applies to all planning applications determined on or after 1 December 2014. This online resource supersedes the Planning Obligations SPD, which is no longer relevant to current planning applications and is retained for use in matters relating to historic applications and appeals.
- Radlett District Centre Key Locations Planning Brief SPD Sets out the constraints and planning policy contexts for four locations in Radlett. It provides advice on how our existing policies should be applied. Its aim is to ensure that key development opportunities in and immediately adjoining Radlett District Centre are maximised.
- Waste Storage Provision Requirements for New Development (PDF 482kb)
Guidance document setting out the requirements for waste and recycling storage and collections at all new residential developments. These guidelines do not cover the requirements for managing construction and industrial waste. This guidance is based on the British Standards for waste collection, and has been produced in consultation between Hertsmere Borough Council’s Planning and Economic Development Service and Waste Management unit.
Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG)
Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) supplements specific policies in the Local Plan 2003 and may be taken into account as a material consideration when decided on planning applications. Where relevant, these will continue to be a material consideration in the assessment of planning applications until they are replaced by SPDs.
Joseph Rowntree Foundation Lifetime Homes Standards
Warren Estate (Bushey Heath) Design Guide (PDF 3.32mb)
Watling Chase Community Forest (PDF 980kb)
We have published a number of documents to help you in the planning process.
Streetscape Manual - To help deliver improvements to the quality of Hertsmere’s town, district and shopping centres. It provides practical, local guidance for those responsible for the different parts of the public realm, and supports improvements to these areas help to improve the overall vitality of town centres in the borough.
Standard Conditions, Reasons and Informatives - the standard conditions set out in this booklet are designed to assist planning officers in dealing with applications in an efficient and consistent manner.
Hard copies of Planning Documents
Paper copies of many of the above documents are available from the Planning Policy Team for a charge. You can view our List of Charges for Planning Documents. (PDF 20.8kb) Please email email@example.com if you require a paper copy of any planning policy documents.