Our website uses cookies to function. You can read our Privacy Policy here, by continuing to use this site you agree with our Privacy Policy cookies close button


Have your say about Council Tax Support changes

Last Modified August 20, 2019

The Council Tax Support Scheme may be changing soon in Hertsmere and we would like to know what you think about the proposals.   

A simpler, banded approach is being proposed for working age people receiving Universal Credit. 

Councillor John Graham, Portfolio Holder for Finance and Property, explained: “Currently, the amount of support a household can receive is calculated based on previous Council Tax Benefit Regulations.  This is a complex, means-tested calculation so we’re proposing to introduce a new, simplified and banded scheme for working age claimants who are earning and who receive Universal Credit. 

“We want the value of awards to be about the same as they are now, which means we are looking to maintain the amount of council tax support that claimants might get.  For that reason, we have set the proposed rates so that no-one is significantly worse or better off.

“We’ve put in place a range of ways for you to have your say about the proposals so that we can consider the feedback and decide on a way forward and implement a new scheme in April next year.”

Pension age claimants would not be affected by the proposed changes. 

The proposal is to introduce a banded income scheme for people who receive Universal Credit.  This would mean the amount of support someone receives through their council tax would be determined by what band their income falls into.  It is believed that this would be less confusing for claimants and that we would have less paperwork to issue. 

More information about how these proposals would work is available on our Council Tax Support Consultation page

The public consultation will run until 30 November 2019. 

People can share their views by:

Completing the short, online survey on our Council Tax Support Consultation page or by emailing comments

Alternatively, people can write to Council Tax, Hertsmere Borough Council, Civic Offices, Elstree Way, Borehamwood, WD6 1WA.
Posted on Tuesday 20th August 2019

Welcome to Hertsmere Borough Council’s website.