We're calling on local businesses to sign up to a Refill Scheme to combat single-use plastic and water wastage, in support of World Refill Day on 16 June.
As part of the council’s commitment to tackling climate change, officers will be out and about in the borough visiting local businesses to encourage them to join a new Refill Scheme in Hertsmere.
The Refill Scheme works by connecting people with locations where they can refill their reusable water bottle.
Councillor Caroline Clapper, Deputy Leader of Hertsmere Borough Council, said: “A motion declaring a climate emergency and pledging to ensure Hertsmere Borough Council achieves net-zero carbon emissions no later than 2050 was unanimously backed by all 39 members in 2019.
“Our officers have been working hard on schemes, services and policies that work towards this aim. The new Refill Scheme is one part of that commitment.
“The aim is to make life with less waste, easier. Participating businesses simply sign up to the app and put a sticker in their window alerting passers-by that they’re welcome to come in and get a refill.
“Not only is this a great scheme to reduce the use of single-use plastic, but also helps local businesses show their commitment to reducing waste, supporting their local communities and encouraging people in to their business.
“I encourage local businesses to support the scheme and residents to download the Refill app to join in with the effort, helping to protect our precious environment one refill at a time.”
The UK public can support National Refill Day by switching from single-use to a reusable bottles and sharing their commitment on social media, by telling the world they’ve joining the refill revolution to prevent plastic pollution.
There are many reasons to join the refill revolution:
- Reduce plastic – refill connects people to places they can refill their water bottle, reducing single-use plastic.
- Save money – find free drinking water on the go and businesses that offer discounts and rewards for choosing to reuse over single-use.
- It’s less hassle – the free refill app connects you to a network of places to reduce, reuse and refill.
- Measure your impact – log your refills to keep track of your individual impact
- Combat climate change - it’s been estimated that plastic production and the incineration of plastic waste give rise globally to approximately 400 million tonnes of CO2 a year. By choosing to reuse instead of single-use, you’re making the right choice for the planet too.
- The environment - the impact of plastic on our wildlife is becoming catastrophic – 100,000 marine mammals and turtles and one million seabirds are killed by plastic pollution annually.
To find out more about the Refill Scheme, to sign your business up or to download the app, visit: www.refill.org.uk.
To find out more about the council’s commitment to climate change and sustainability visit: www.hertsmere.gov.uk/climatechange
Posted on Wednesday 16th June 2021