Last Modified October 08, 2020
Appointment of Independent Person and Substitute
The Standards Committee of Hertsmere Borough Council oversees the ethical standards of elected and co-opted members of Hertsmere Borough Council and the Town and Parish Councils established in the Borough. The Committee’s role is to promote and maintain high standards of ethical conduct by members and to deal with complaints alleging a failure by a member to comply with the requirements of the Code of Conduct of their authority.
The Independent Person supports the Standards Committee by providing an independent perspective on the Council’s ethical framework as well as having an active role in the management and conduct of member complaints.
If you are interested in playing an important role in promoting and maintaining high standards of ethical conduct in Hertsmere, you are invited to apply for the positions of Independent Person or Substitute Independent Person, the latter to act in the absence of the Independent Person. Training will be given and a modest allowance will be payable.
- Have a good understanding of the ethical standards required of persons holding public office;
- Demonstrate high standards of integrity;
- Demonstrate that they can remain independent in their thinking and decision making;
- Be able to make judgements based on evidence or information presented;
- Have questioning skills and be assertive;
- Be able to act with tact and discretion and maintain the confidentiality of confidential and sensitive information; and
- Demonstrate a commitment to equal opportunities.
To be eligible to apply you MUST NOT:
- Have been a member or officer at the Council or Parish or Town Council within the Borough within the last five years.
- Be a relative or close friend of a member or officer of Hertsmere Borough Council or of any Parish or Town Council in the Borough.
In addition, the Council WILL NOT consider a candidate who:
- Has a public profile in party politics including a role on the management or selection committee(s) of a registered political party or who has been a candidate or canvasser for a registered political party at local or national election; or
- Has been convicted of a criminal offence (excluding minor traffic offences) in the last five years; or
- Has an existing relationship with Hertsmere Borough Council that could cause a potential conflict of interest e.g. a contractual relationship with the Council as a supplier etc.
To request an Independent Person application pack, e-mail the Monitoring Officer at email@example.com or download the application pack below:
0 - Advert for the Independent Person
1 Job Description for HBC Independent Person
2 Protocol relating to the role and conduct of the Independent Person
3 Statement of arrangement for dealing with Code of Conduct complaints
4 Independent Member application form (PDF)
4 Independent Member application form (MS Word)
5 Hertsmere Borough Council Code of Conduct
If you want to speak to someone about the role, please call 0208 207 2277 and ask for Harvey Patterson or Chileme Hayes.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00pm on Friday, 24 January 2020.
Interviews for short-listed candidates will held in the week beginning 4 February 2020 and the Council intends to appoint the successful candidate(s) at the Council Meeting to be held on 26 February 2020.
16th January 2020